Nagaland Governor asks Shurhozelie Liezitsu to form govt, swearing in on Feb 22

20 February 2017, 06:53 PM
T R Zeliang (File photo)
T R Zeliang (File photo)

Nagaland Governor P B Acharya on Monday asked Shurhozelie Liezitsu to form government in the state. The swearing-in ceremony will be held on February 22.

Earlier on Monday, Nagaland People’s Front (NPF) President Shurhozelie Liezitsu was elected as the consensus candidate to replace T R Zeliang as the next chief minister of the state.

He was chosen as the new Chief minister at the meeting of the Democratic Alliance of Nagaland (DAN) which was attended by 59 legislators, NPF sources here said.

Liezitsu, also the DAN chairman, is expected to meet the Governor this evening apparently to stake his claim.

ALSO READ | Nagaland Governor accepts Zeliang's resignation, Neiphiu Rio in race for new CM

Zeliang had yesterday stepped down from the chief minister’s post. Governor P B Acharya had accepted his resignation and told him to continue till further arrangements were made.

A statement from Zeliang’s Office had stated that a consensus leader will be chosen at Naga People’s Front Legislature Party meeting today.

Zeliang had left for Delhi on February 16 after seeking two days’ time to step down from the chief minister’s post.

Protests had erupted in Nagaland after the state government announced that in the Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) election, 33 per cent of the seats would be reserved for women.

ALSO READ | TR Zeliang steps down as Nagaland Chief Minister

Different organisations in the state had demanded that the state government declare the ULB elections null and void, suspend the police and security personnel involved in January 31 firing on the protesters leading to the death of two youths in Dimapur and that Zeliang step down from the post of the Chief Minister.

The Nagaland government had fulfilled the demand of Nagaland Tribes Action Committee (NTAC) Kohima and Joint Coordination Committee (JCC), declaring the entire process of Urban Local Bodies election with 33 per cent reservation for women as null and void.

Their second demand of suspending the personnel involved in January 31 police firing on the protesters has been partially fulfilled as they were transferred.

First Published: Monday, February 20, 2017 06:48 PM
For all the latest India News Download the News Nation App available on Android and iOS.