Ram Navami 2019: 10 lesser-known facts about Lord Vishnu’s 7th avatar
He is said to have ruled Ayodhya for 11,000 years --- the golden period was called Ram Rajya. (File photo)
India is busy celebrating Chaitra Navratri 2019 and will finally bid good bye to the much-sought after Hindu spring festival with the observance of Ram Navami. The festival marks the birth anniversary of Lord Rama, who is known to be the seventh avatar of Shri Vishnu. Lord Rama was born in the kingdom of Ayodhya to Queen Kausalya and King Dasharatha in 'Treta Yuga', the second age of mankind in the religion of Hinduism. Lord Rama, who is the central character of the ancient Hindu epic Ramayana, is also mentioned in texts of Jain and Buddhist scriptures. Every year, Ram Navami is being celebrated on the ninth day of the Shukhla Paksha (bright half) in the Hindu calendar month of Chaitra (typically in the month of March or April). This year it falls on Saturday, April 13.
Here are 10 lesser known facts about Lord Rama:
- Lord Rama is said to be the seventh avatar of Lord Vishnu who was born on the ninth day in Shukla Paksha, in the month of Chaitra.
- He was born in the Treta Yug, the second age of mankind in the religion of Hinduism.
- Lord Rama’s name was given by Vashisht Maharishi, the guru of Raghukul. Rama comprises two words --- 'Ra' meaning Agni Beej and 'Ma' meaning Amrit Beej. Agni Beej served to vitilise his body, while Amrit Beej to relieve him from all fatigue.
- Lord Ram had an elder sister, Shanta, the daughter Dashrath and Kaushalya.
- Ayodhya, the birthplace of Rama lights up on Ram Navami – devotees take a dip in the river Sarayu and visit the Ram temple.
- It is said that Rama, who was a God in human form gave up his mortal body when voluntarily walked into the Sarayu River.
- He was known as a king of Righteousness, virtue and love and is said to have restored Dharma in the world.
- He is said to have ruled Ayodhya for 11,000 years --- the golden period was called Ram Rajya.
- He defeated the mighty Ravana, the king of Lanka, to rescue his wife Sita who was held captive in the latter’s kingdom.
- When Ravana was dying, Lord Rama sent his brother to Lakshman to learn everything that Ravana had to offer. Ravana rendered a discourde in politics and dharma.
First Published: Saturday, April 13, 2019 09:42 AM
- Ram Navami ,
- Navratri 2019 ,
- Lesser Known Facts Abour Lord Ram ,
- Ram Navami Significance ,
- Ram Navami History ,
- Ram Navami Shubh Muhurat ,
- Ram Navami Date And Time ,
- Ram Navami Puja Vidhi ,
- Ram Navami Puja Timings ,
- Chaitra Ram Navami ,
- Chaitra Navratri ,
- Ram Navami Today ,