Another surgical strike? Rajnath Singh says 'something has happened'

New Delhi, News Nation Bureau | Updated : 29 September 2018, 08:57 AM
Home Minister Rajnath Singh
Home Minister Rajnath Singh

A day before the second anniversary of the Surgical Strikes, Home Minister Rajnath Singh indicated that Indian forces may have hit Pakistani targets to avenge the brutal killing of a Border Security Force jawan.

"Our neighbouring country Pakistan keeps fostering unrest. It doesn't refrain from its nefarious activities. People often raise how they mistreat our Border Security Force jawans. You might have seen something... something has happened, I won't say what. It has happened, it has gone alright. You can believe us, it has been alright - just two-three days ago. Some people know. And you will see ahead, what happens," NDTV quoted Rajnath Singh as saying.

The home minister was speaking at an event in Uttar Pradesh's Muzaffarnagar on Friday.BSF jawan Narendra Singh was shot dead and mutilated near the border in Jammu and Kashmir.Sources told The Times of India that the BSF confirmed that Pakistan suffered significant casualties in the heavy retaliatory shelling. 

Also Read | Facebook says personal data of over 50 million users hacked, breach fixed

On Monday, Indian Army Chief Bipin Rawat said there was a need for another surgical strike against Pakistan but refused to give any details. On September 29, 2016, the Indian Army claimed to have carried out “surgical strikes on terror launchpads” across the Line of Control to neutralise alleged infiltrators the previous night. 

Pakistan denied any such attacks and said India was deliberately using the term “surgical strikes” to describe existing “cross-border fire” operations for “media hype”.The defence minister had announced last week that various events will be held from September 28 to 30 to commemorate the valour of soldiers.

Also Read | 'URI' first look unveiled: Vicky Kaushal looks every bit of rustic and captivating

Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated on Friday the “Parakram Parv” exhibition at the military station in Jodhpur to mark the second anniversary of the surgical strikes carried out by the Army across the Line of Control. In the visitors' book at the Konark War Memoria, Modi wrote that the country is proud of its armed forces which are committed to the defence of the motherland.

(With PTI inputs)

First Published: Saturday, September 29, 2018 12:12 AM
For all the latest India News Download the News Nation App available on Android and iOS.