In yet another tragic incident, five people of a family, including a six-month-old girl, were killed after a major fire engulfed their residence at the Mayawati Colony of Indiranagar area in Uttar Pradesh's Lucknow. The two-storey house in Ram vihar Phase II colony was completely burned down after a stockpile of small cooking gas cylinders caught fire early Tuesday morning.
According to reports, the blaze started due to a short circuit and further spread to a gas-stove godown located at the place. The incident occured at around 6 am on Tuesday, reducing the house to ashes within minutes.
"Lucknow: 5 members of a family died last night after a fire broke out at their residence due to short circuit and spread to a gas-stove godown built there, in Mayawati Colony of Indira Nagar," the news agency ANI reported.
Lucknow: 5 members of a family died last night after a fire broke out at their residence due to short circuit and spread to a gas-stove godown built there, in Mayawati Colony of Indira Nagar. pic.twitter.com/ln11xxj1Zz— ANI UP (@ANINewsUP) May 1, 2019
The deceased have been identified as 60-year-old OP Singh, 40-year-old Sumit, 42-year-old Julie and her six-months-old daughter Baby. The police is yet to ascertain the identity of the remaining one. According to Amit Kumar, SP (trans-Gomti), prima facie, the family appears to run an illegal workshop of cooking gas and cylinders inside the house.
Soon after the news of the fire broke out, panic gripped the residents of the locality who rushed to the colony to help douse the fire. Speaking to media, Ajay, a local, said that the fire tenders took time to reach the spot as the house is located in a narrow lane.
However, CFO VK Singh, claimed that six fire tenders were immediately rushed to the spot and the fire was doused within an hour.