Bodh Gaya blasts: NIA releases two more, no breakthrough yet

Bodh Gaya/New Delhi, PTI | Updated : 11 July 2013, 06:17 PM

The remaining two persons under detention in connection with the Bodh Gaya serial blasts were released for want of evidence, as investigators struggled for a breakthrough in its probe, four days after the terror attack.

The National Investigation Agency (NIA), which has been formally entrusted with the probe into the Sunday attack, is now sifting through the data of telephone calls, incoming as well outgoing, from the temple town.

Some clues had been found during the exercise and a few persons might be called for questioning soon, police said in Patna on Thursday.

Official sources, meanwhile, said on Thursday the IP address of the tweet handle @IndianMujahidin in which it was purportedly claimed that the banned terror outfit Indian Mujahideen (IM) orchestrated the blasts was traced to Pakistan.

The sources in Delhi said that on the request of investigators, micro-blogging site Twitter had suspended this account.

Police said that Binod Mistri and Dashrath Yadav, who hailed from Gaya district, were released by the NIA last night for want of evidence after recording their statements, police said.

With the release of the two men, all the six people detained after the blasts have been set free.

Mistri was detained on Sunday evening by security personnel several hours after the blast on the basis of his voter identity card found inside the temple during search operations after the explosions.

Dasrath was held for questioning on Wednesday on the basis of details of calls made from Mistri's mobile to him. Both hail from Barachatti village in Gaya district.

Patna police yesterday released four people including a woman who had booked two rooms in a hotel for just two hours near the historic Mahabodhi temple, the holiest shrine of Buddhism, on the morning of the multiple blasts.

Official sources said in Delhi that investigators are looking into the genuineness of the Twitter handle purportedly of IM but they are suspicious as it became active barely a day before the blasts.

The sources said after investigators approached Twitter seeking the location where the messages were uploaded on it, the US-based company suspended the account.

The sources said they want to be sure about the location from where the messages were being posted as Pakistan's location could have been result of a proxy IP address.

Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde had on Wednesday said NIA is looking into all possible angles in the probe into the attack including the purported claim by the IM.

First Published: Thursday, July 11, 2013 06:16 PM
Post Comment (+)