A forensic report on Saturday confirmed the presence of poisonous pesticide in the mid-day meal served to the students of the school in Chhapra where 23 children died after taking the contaminated food.
The Forensic Science Laboratory report found Monocrotophos, an organophosphorous compound in the samples of oil from the container, food remains on the platter and mixture of rice with vegetables on Aluminium tasla (utensil), Additional Director General of Police (HQ) Ravinder Kumar told reporters making the report public.
Monocrotophos is used as a pesticide for agricultural purposes. It is very toxic to human beings and other animals, the ADG said quoting the FSL report.
The report confirmed the Bihar government's apprehension that the food given to the children of Dharmasati Gandaman primary school at Chhapra was poisoned.
A total 23 children died after eating the meal while 24 others and the cook Manju Devi are undergoing treatment at Patna Medical College and Hospital.