News Nation Logo

BREAKING

Board result banner

15 Italian Tourists Reportedly Test Positive For Coronavirus In Delhi

With The Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Virus Spreading To More Countries And Two More Confirmed Cases Reported In India, Seaports And Airports Have Been Put Under High Alert.

News Nation Bureau | Edited By : Fayiq Wani | Updated on: 04 Mar 2020, 11:00:14 AM
coronavirus

One of the tourists, currently in Jaipur, tested positive on Tuesday. (Photo Credit: IANS)

New Delhi:

At least fifteen of 21 Italian tourists, who have been quarantined in Delhi, are suspected to have coronavirus, according to media reports. One of the tourists, currently in Jaipur, tested positive on Tuesday. Officials say the sample of the tourist was sent to National Institute of Virology, Pune where it was found to be positive after the first two tests gave contradictory results. With this, six cases of COVID-19 have been reported in the country so far. Three of the patients have recovered. The tourists reportedly landed in Delhi and travelled to Rajasthan last month.

With the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) virus spreading to more countries and two more confirmed cases reported in India, seaports and airports have been put under high alert. On Tuesday, two private schools in Noida were shut for next few days after father of one of their students tested positive for coronavirus, while several people, including his family members, were quarantined or kept in isolation as authorities stepped up prevention efforts including extending suspension of existing regular and e visas to nationals of four other affected countries.

As concerns over the spread of the virus mounted, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday held an extensive review on the preparedness. He urged the people not to panic and instead take basic protective measures.

The Union Health Ministry on Tuesday said all regular visas/e-visas granted on or before March 3 to nationals of Italy, Iran, South Korea and Japan, who have not yet entered India, stand suspended in view of the emerging global scenarios regarding COVID19 disease.

On February 4, India had cancelled the existing visas for Chinese nationals and foreigners who had visited the neighbouring country in the preceding two-week period, following the outbreak of Coronavirus which has now spread to over 60 countries and claimed over 3,100 lives. Over 90,000 have been infected. Visa on arrival (VoA) issued on or before March 3 to Japanese and South Korean nationals, who have not yet entered India, have also been suspended.

The Ministry also said diplomats, officials of UN and other International bodies, OCI cardholders and aircrew from above countries are exempted from such restriction on entry.  However, their medical screening is compulsory.

(With PTI Inputs)

For all the Latest India News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.

First Published : 04 Mar 2020, 10:46:11 AM

Related Tags:

Coronavirus Delhi Italy