Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot. (Photo Credit: IANS)
With number of coronavirus cases on rise, Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot on Saturday directed a ‘complete lockdown’ in the state, except for essential services, till March 31. There will be a ‘complete lockdown’, barring essential and medical services, in the state from March 22-March 31 to contain the spread of novel coronavirus and keep people safe, the chief minister said in a statement. The decision about the lockdown was taken by the chief minister at a high-level meeting with the top officials.
All government offices, malls, factories, public transport etc. will remain shut during the period, he said. So far, 25 people have tested positive for coronavirus in the state and report of 40 others are awaited.
Earlier on Friday, Gehlot appealed to NGOs to cooperate with the government in its efforts to prevent the spread of coronavirus infection. The state government is constantly taking strict steps to prevent the spread of the pathogen. Non-governmental organizations can play an effective role in creating awareness among the public about the disease, he said.
While holding a discussion with representatives of the NGOs, Gehlot said these organisations work in different areas and in times like this, they can use their experience and help the government, the chief minister said.
They can help in providing resources such as medicines, food and raising awareness and clearing misconception surrounding COVID-19, Gehlot said.
State Medical and Health Minister Raghu Sharma said there was no longer any need to send samples to the National Institute of Virology (NIV) in Pune or any other place.
Adequate arrangements have been made for isolation facilities in every district. There is no dearth of masks and medical devices, Sharma said.
With PTI Inputs