Delhi police on Friday rejected before a special court the defence of two of the four accused in the December 16 gangrape case that they were not in the bus and were present at a music function.
Special Public Prosecutor Dayan Krishnan submitted a letter from the concerned department to establish before Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna that accused Vinay Sharma and Pawan Gupta were not at the music function, as claimed by them, but were in the bus in which a 23-year-old girl was gangraped and brutally assaulted by six accused.
During the cross-examination of the two defence witnesses produced by Vinay, the prosecution alleged that they have concocted a false story at the behest of the accused and his family members as they are his friends and were deposing falsely in the case.
"There was no musical programme organised on December 16, 2012 in the evening time in the district park (south Delhi). The DDA/horticulture department does not allow such programme in the park and no one is allowed to enter the park after 7:00 pm in the evening," the prosecution said, which was refuted by the witnesses saying their suggestion is absolutely wrong.
Vinay's friends appearing as witnesses told the judge that he and Pawan were also present at the music function on the incident night from 8:00 pm to 11:00 pm, of which they have also made a video in the accused' mobile phone.
This statement is similar to that given by Vinay earlier in his deposition in which he had said that he was at the district park with his family to attend a music function and was not in the bus in which the heinous crime was committed.
The police has also submitted to the court the letter written by the Secretary of Ebenezer Assembly, R K Puram and by St.Thomas Church, who has also stated that they had not conducted any musical function programme on December 16, 2012.