Delhi Police on Friday registered an FIR in connection with the screening of India’s Daughter, a banned documentary based on the December 16, 2012, gangrape, in south Delhi’s Sant Ravi Dass camp area.
The FIR was registered under section 188 of IPC (disobedience to order duly promulgated by public servant) at R K Puram Police Station and an investigation has been launched to probe the matter.
Independent filmmaker Ketan Dixit and some of his associates had allegedly held a screening of the controversial documentary in Sant Ravi Dass camp where the accused in the gangrape case used to live.
“Nobody has been named in the FIR so far. Police have launched the investigation in connection with the screening of this documentary,” Delhi police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat said.
Sources said that those behind the screening can soon be questioned in this connection but police may refrain from arresting them.
A trial court on March 4 had banned until further orders the broadcast of the interview of December 16, 2012 gangrape convict Mukesh Singh, conducted in July 2013 inside Tihar jail here.
Earlier, a trial court had restrained the media from broadcasting or publishing the interview of Mukesh Singh after Delhi Police had registered an FIR in this regard and moved the court seeking restraint.
The Information and Broadcasting Ministry had also issued an advisory to all television channels not to broadcast it.
The victim, a physiotherapy student, was gang-raped and assaulted with an iron rod after she boarded an unregistered private bus to go home after watching a movie with a male friend on December 16, 2012. Thirteen days later, she died due to the injuries inflicted upon her at a Singapore hospital where she was airlifted for treatment.
Mukesh, along with three others, was convicted and sentenced to death in September 2013 for the gangrape and murder of the 23-year-old victim.