Gadchiroli Maoist Attack: 7 facts about little-known C-60 Commando Force
C-60 Is Composed Exclusively Of Local Tribal Men Who Are Affluent In The Terrain In Which They Operate In As Well As In The Language And Customs Of The Area.
C-60 commandos are well acquainted with the local population there and also helps to bridge in gaps between government and create credible intelligence sources about Maoists movements and actions. (File photo)
As many as 16 C-60 commandos were killed in Maharashtra's Gadchiroli district by Maoists on Wednesday. The private vehicle they were travelling in was targeted by an improvised explosive device (IED). The attack was carried out on the Kurkheda-Korchi road near Jambhurkheda village panchayat in north Gadchiroli, a Maoist-hit area.
In the wake of the attack, here’s what you should know about the little-known C-60 Commando Force:
- C-60 Commando Force was first conceptualised and raised to battle the Maoist menace in 1992 by the then SP of Gadchiroli Police KP Raghuvansi.
- The unit, with a tagline 'Veerbhogya Vasundhara' or (The Brave Rule the World), owe their name to the fact that there were only 60 commandos when the squad was formed.
- C-60 is composed exclusively of local tribal men who are affluent in the terrain in which they operate in as well as in the language and customs of the area.
- They are well acquainted with the local population there and also helps to bridge in gaps between government and create credible intelligence sources about Maoists movements and actions.
- C-60 also organises various civic programmes for the local population creating affection and support for them.
- C-60 commandos had surpassed their record of 2013 by gunning down eight Maoist cadres at Kalled in December 2017, which until then was the biggest success of the unit.
- Last year, C-60 commander Motiram Madavi, a veteran of several successful encounters, was awarded rank of sub-inspector.
For all the Latest India News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.
First Published : 01 May 2019, 02:57:42 PM