Assam Finance Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Saturday said he had lost all hope in the National Register of Citizens (NRC) as the Centre and the state government were discussing new ways to oust foreigners from the state.
"I have lost all hope in the NRC. I just want the day to pass off peacefully, without any incident," Sarma said.
"Delhi and the Assam government are discussing new ways to oust foreigners from the state. I don't think this is the final list, there are many more to come," he added.
Meanwhile, the final National Register of Citizen (NRC) list is out. Names of over 3.11 crore individuals have been mentioned in the list. However, 19 lakh people have been excluded.
The status of both inclusion and exclusion can be viewed online in the NRC website, www.nrcassam.nic.in. The final list was published at 10 am and the hard copies of the Supplementary List of Inclusions are available for public viewing at the NRC Seva Kendras (NSK), offices of the deputy commissioner and offices of the Circle Officer during office hours, the statement said.
Any person who is not satisfied with the outcome can file appeal before the Foreigners Tribunals within 120 days. Assam government has earlier said those left out of the NRC will not be detained under any circumstances until the Foreigners Tribunals declare them as foreigners.
The names of 1.9 crore people were published as Part Draft NRC on the midnight of December 31, 2017.
In July 30 last year, the Complete Draft was released excluding over 40 lakh of 2.9 crore people. An additional 1,02,462 people were excluded in June this year, taking the total ineligible persons to 41,10,169.
The process of NRC updation started in the state following an order of the Supreme Court in 2013. Since then, the Apex Court has been closely monitoring the entire process.
Assam, which has faced an influx of people from Bangladesh since the early 20th century, is the only state having an NRC which was first prepared in 1951. It is for the first time since then that the NRC was updated.