A major fire broke out at the exhibition grounds here Wednesday night, officials said. At least two persons were admitted to hospital due to suffocation, officials said, adding that some stalls were gutted. Fire tenders were rushed to the spot to put out the fire even as disaster response force of Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation was pressed into service, they said. The blaze, which apparently started from a stall spread to some other stalls, creating panic among the visitors.
“The fire broke due to short circuit, more than 100 shops have been gutted. There are no casualties. Fire is under control now.” Musharraf Farooqi, Zonal Commissioner, Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation said. According to the early reports, nine persons have been hospitalised. Seven people who complained of suffocation due to heavy smoke were rushed to the Osmania General Hospital, while two others who received minor burns were shifted to Care Hospitals in Nampally. Their condition was later stated to be stable.
“The authorities have responded immediately and are in the process of extinguishing the fire. Luckily, there are no reports of any casualties,” Exhibition Society chairman Eatala Rajender told the media.
Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation’s (GHMC) disaster management team rushed to the spot to take up rescue operations.
“It is a massive fire accident and we are in the process of estimating the damage. Since hundreds of stalls caught fire, it takes longer time to extinguish the fire,” Hyderabad mayor Bonthu Rammohan, who rushed to the spot, said.
The 45-day All-India industrial exhibition popularly called ' Numaish ' started on January 1.