The Centre on Friday rejected West Bengal government’s request for a CBI probe into the gangrape of a 71-year-old nun at a convent school in Nadia district that caused a nation-wide outrage.
Senior officials in the Home Ministry said that a recommendation of the West Bengal government had been received for a CBI probe into nun gang rape case and it had “expressed regret”, officials said and added that the decision had been communicated to the state government.
“Considering the seriousness and sensitivity of the case”, state Chief Minister Mamta Banerjee had announced on March 19 that her government had recommended for a CBI probe and also assured to provide all necessary cooperation and assistance to CBI for investigation in this case.
The Sister Superior of a convent school was allegedly gang raped by dacoits at the Gangnapur school in Ranaghat subdivision of Nadia district on March 14 after which a CID probe was ordered into the incident.
The state CID have arrested two persons, both Bangladeshi nationals, in connection with the case.
The first arrest was made in Mumbai when Mohammed Salim Sheikh alias Salim was picked up in the early hours, while Gopal Sarkar was taken into custody from Habra in North 24 Parganas district in West Bengal.
A study of the CCTV footage at the convent in Ranaghat sub-division had shown visuals of four persons, who were allegedly involved in the crime. The gang broke into the school and three-four of them raped the woman after gagging her and later took away Rs 12 lakh kept in a locker.
The nun was admitted to a local hospital and later taken to an undisclosed destination after being discharged.
The incident sent shock waves across the entire nation. Baselios Cardinal Cleemis, the president of Catholic Bishops’ Conference of India (CBCI), said that “justice should be made visible and such acts should not continue...”