Rabindranath Tagore 158th birth anniversary: Some facts about India’s first Nobel laureate Gurudev on Rabindra Jayanti
His poetry collection, 'Gitanjali', which is considered to be "profoundly sensitive, fresh and beautiful verse", won him the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1913 making him the first non-European to win the prestigious award. (File photo)
Rabindranath Tagore who was popularly known as Gurudev was born on May 7, 1861 in Calcutta. redefined Bengali literature, arts and music with his verses and artistic works in the late 19th and early 20th century. His poetry collection, 'Gitanjali', which is considered to be "profoundly sensitive, fresh and beautiful verse", won him the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1913 making him the first non-European to win the prestigious award.
On his 158th birth anniversary, let us take a look at some facts about India’s first Nobel laureate:
- Rabindranath Tagore was born on May 7, 1861.
- Tagore was born in the Jorasanko mansion in Calcutta to Debendranath Tagore and Sarada Devi. He was the youngest of thirteen surviving children and nicknamed as Rabi. His mother died when he was very young and father travelled widely for work.
- Rabindranath Tagore is the only person to have written the national anthems for two different countries --- Jana Gana Mana for India and Amar Sonar Bangla for Bangladesh.
- The Sri Lankan national anthem was inspired by his work.
- When Tagore was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1913, he became the first non-European to win it. He was awarded the prize after the publication of his acclaimed collection of poems Geetanjali.
- Rabindranath Tagore took up drawing and painting at the age of 60 and went on to hold several successful exhibitions of his works.
- Tagore and Einstein met four times between 1930 and 1931 and revered each other moved by their mutual curiosity to grasp other’s contributions, their search for truth and love for music.
- Tagore and Mahatma Gandhi were also well acquainted and share a deep mutual respect.
First Published: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 01:19 PM
- Rabindranath Tagore ,
- Rabindranath Tagore Birthday ,
- Happy Birthday Ravindranath Tagore ,
- Rabindra Jayanti ,
- 25 Baisakh ,
- National Anthem ,
- History Of Jana Gana Mana ,
- History Of Indian National Anthem ,
- Rabindranath Tagore Biography ,
- Rabindranath Tagore Family ,
- Rabindranath Tagore Poems ,
- Rabindranath Tagore Information ,