The Supreme Court on Monday granted CBI two more weeks to complete the investigation into the road accident case of the rape victim and her lawyer. Uttar Pradesh government was also ordered to pay Rs 5 Lakh interim compensation to the lawyer for medical expenses. At present, the 19-year-old and her lawyer are being treated for their grievous injuries at AIIMS-Delhi.
Last month, the Supreme Court had transferred all five cases linked to the Unnao rape survivor from the CBI court in Uttar Pradesh to Delhi and said the designated judge in the national capital will commence the trial on a day-to-day basis and complete the trial within 45 days.
"Taking into account the ground stated in transfer petition, and letter to the CJI, we order the transfer of all the cases from the CBI court in UP to Delhi,' the top court said. The court has also directed the state to pay a compensation of Rs 25 lakh to the Unnao rape survivor by today. The apex court has also ordered security to be provided to the survivor and family and injured lawyer and his family.
The BJP also expelled Kuldeep Singh Sengar, the main accused in the Unnao gangrape. According to latest media reports, the top leadership at the BJP took the step after marathon meeting, which was attended by senior leaders Swatantra Dev Singh and Sunil Bansal. The party reportedly felt that suspension was not enough. While Swatantra Dev Singh had claimed that Sengar was suspended from party, there was never any official press release. Multiple media reports stated that no leader from the party had any details of the ‘suspension’.
The BJP was under pressure to act against Sengar since the July 28 accident involving the Unnao rape survivor and her family. The rape survivor's mother had alleged that Sengar, a four-time MLA who represents Bangermau in the Uttar Pradesh Assembly, raped her teenage daughter at his residence in 2017. Sengar was arrested on April 13 last year.