One-pot creamy chicken and mushroom pasta is simple enough for a weekend dinner but lovely enough for company — and it can definitely serve a crowd! So let’s get started:
• 2 teaspoons olive oil
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 lb whole wheat penne pasta
• 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
• 4 tablespoon plain cream cheese
• 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
• 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
• For serving: 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped and shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms and saute for 7-8 minutes, until onions are tender and the mushrooms have released most of their liquid.
2. Add garlic, salt and pepper and saute for another 30 seconds.
3. Add pasta and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
4. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 8-10 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the pasta is nearly cooked. Lift the lid and stir it once or twice during the cooking time so the pasta gets moved around and can cook evenly.
5. Add cream cheese and mozzarella cheese and stir until melted and well combined. You can add an extra splash of chicken broth if needed to get everything to mix well.
6. Add shredded chicken and stir to combine. Turn off heat, cover and let sit for a few minutes.
7. Taste and adjust seasonings.
8. Serve with fresh chopped parsley and Parmesan cheese (if using).
Don't let complicated recipes stand in the way of you and carbs. This easy pasta dish will make dinner stress-free, and is delish enough that you'll be happy to have leftovers!