Despite the flood catastrophe that hit Kerala, its rich food culture and the demand for Kerala cuisine still reigns high. The diverse food highly popular apart from its breathtaking beauty, makes Kerala one of the most visited states in the country. From the enormous platters of vegetarian dishes like Sadya, to non-vegetarian, the range of non-vegetarian dishes made from seafood and lamb, to the sweet and savoury delicacies, Kerala cuisine is worth the time to savour. The flavours are enhanced with chillies, curry leaves, mustard seeds, turmeric, tamarind, black pepper, cardamom, clove, ginger, cinnamon, and asafoetida. For your lazy Sunday evening, this quick and easy Kerala cuisines will make you feel blessed to have Kerala as your neighbour:
Kallumakkaya Ularthiyathu (Mussel stir fry).
This mussel spicy dish is common in Malabar and eaten either as an appetiser or a side dish.
How to prepare Kallumakkaya Ularthiyathu
Cooking time-20 minutes
Mussels / Kallumakkaya / Kadukka(deshelled)-1/2 kilogram
shallot (chopped)-1/2 cup
garlic (crushed)-1 tablespoon
ginger (crushed)-1 tablespoon
turmeric powder-1/2 teaspoon
chilli powder-1 1/2 tablespoons
pepper powder-1/2 teaspoon
coriander powder-1 teaspoon
garam masala-1 teaspoon
curry leaves-3 sprigs
1. Clean mussels – The first step is to clean the mussels. Place your mussels in a bowl. Rinse and scrub them well.
De-shell the mussel
2. The next step is to de-shell them. It is difficult to open them with your bare hands. So place the mussel in a 2 to 3 inch of water in a saucepan with a steamer and bring to a boil.
3. Let it cook for 3 to 4 minutes, it will be easier to open the shell once they are steamed.
4. Heat the oil in a pan and add the finely sliced shallot and curry leaves.
4. Saute until it becomes golden brown colour.
5. Then add the crushed garlic and ginger paste. Saute it well!
6. Time for the spices- Add turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Add additional oil as required to fry the masalas.
7. Now add the cleaned mussels, enough salt, vinegar and cover and cook without any water. You can add vinegar if you choose to.
8. To get the perfect taste, cook it until the water dries and relish it!