The liver is one of the largest organs in the human body. It is also one of the strongest organs. Liver no doubt is a powerhouse organ. From breaking down old or damaged blood cells to playing a metabolic process in the body, liver is crucial to maintain a good health. To boost the functioning of the liver, eating these 10 liver foods will help maintain healthy liver:
- Blueberries and cranberries: Several studies have suggested that eating blueberries helped increase immune cell response and antioxidant enzymes. In addition, blueberry extract has even been shown to inhibit the growth of human liver cancer cells in test-tube studies. With berries, the darker the colour the more nutritious it is for your health. This is because of the antioxidants called anthocyanins that give berries their distinctive colours. These antioxidant foods are a must have food for a healthy liver.
- Prickly bear: Prickly bear has medicinal properties and long been eaten to treat ulcers, wounds, fatigue and liver disease. Drinking the juice of prickly juice have also been found to decrease the amount of oxidative damage and injury to the liver after alcohol consumption and help keep antioxidant and inflammation levels stable.
- Beetroot juice: Beetroot juice is a good source of nitrates and antioxidants called betalains, which may benefit liver and heart health. Beet root juice reduces oxidative damage and inflammation. Drinking beetroot juice have also been known to reduce oxidative damage and inflammation in the liver, and increase natural detoxification enzymes.
- Fatty fish: Fatty fish contain omega-3 fatty acids which are healthy fats that reduce inflammation and have been associated to reduce the risk of heart disease. In addition, the fats found in fatty fish are beneficial for the liver that help prevent fat from building up, keep enzyme levels normal, fight inflammation and improve insulin resistance.
- Olive oil: Studies have shown that consuming one teaspoon of olive oil per day help improve liver enzyme and fat levels. Olive oil is also known to raise the levels of protein associated with positive metabolic effects. It also showed a less fat accumulation and better blood flow in the liver.
- Garlic: The white bulb in the garlic has an enzyme which has the ability to flush out body toxins. The allicin and selenium in the garlic are also natural food compounds that help to keep the liver clean and healthy.
- Citrus fruits: Citrus food such as lemon has high vitamin c content which helps in synthesizing toxic materials into substances that can be absorbed by water. Hence, drinking fresh lemon juice in the morning will cleanse and stimulate the liver.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is more than just a spice. Turmeric has long been known to detoxifying the liver and assist enzymes that actively flush out dietary toxins. Drinking turmeric mixed with milk or adding them to your dish will be an instant liver-booster.