Mold is a fungus that grows in the form of multicellular filaments called hyphae and are found in almost all the food we eat, when kept for long. While food with mold are often discarded, we also ingest bits of it with food such as Brie and Camembert cheese that has white surface molds or blue veined cheese which are created by the introduction of P. roqueforti or Penicillium roqueforti spores, implying that certain types of mold are not as dangerous as they are made to look disgusting.
But happens if we are at the misfortune of eating it accidently? What is the worst that can happen to your body? “In all likelihood, nothing bad will happen to you—especially if you have a healthy immune system,” said SciShow host Michael Aranda in a recent YouTube video.
However, that is not to say that molds are safe to be consumed. Given the fact that But, molds are a type of fungus, some people can be allergic to it, sometimes even proving to be dangerous. Aside from the allergy issue, the other problem with eating mold is the mycotoxins it contains “These are chemicals various molds make under certain conditions that are toxic to humans and other creatures,” he says. “For the most part, if you consume a little bit once or twice, you’ll probably be okay. But in larger doses, or over longer periods of time, they can become an issue.”
Rudolph Bedford, MD, a gastroenterologist at Providence Saint John’s Health Center in Santa Monica, CA, also added that ” as long as your immune system is in good shape'' eating mold are not as dangerous as they are disgusting to look at.
Molds, or microscopic fungi, creep up on plant and animal products after being transported by air, water, or insects. They can be dangerous, but usually aren’t.
So, do we avoid moldy food as a whole or what is the best way to handle moldy food? Know your food. Mold tend to spread in softer foods such as bread, cheese, meat, or dips. It is hence wise to throw them away once you see the green fuzzy stuff. As for harder foods like carrots, strawberries, where molds are more difficult to detect, you could cut out the spots where you think are mold-infested or throw it away.