Dried fruits: Why you should opt for nuts as an alternative snack
Dried fruits: Why you should opt for nuts as an alternative snack (Photo:Twitter/@MankatoMarathon)
Dried fruits are known to have several health benefits. Replacing your snack items with dried fruits can help improve the overall health of a person while preventing many common diseases. Dry fruits are rich in dietary fiber and potassium and has a wide range of phytochemicals. Phytochemicals are known to have antioxidant properties and naturally promote good health. Hence, you can replace your oil-rich snacks with dried fruits which are delicious as well as good for health. Below are five health facts about dried fruits as an alternative healthy snack:
Also Read | Why guava leaves are beneficial for health
- Cardiovascular disease: Cardiovascular disease or CDV is among the leading causes of death in the world. Studies have demonstrated that consumption of nuts have high cholesterol lowering effect. Nuts are low in sodium which lowers the risk of hypertension and other cardiovascular risks. According to another study, walnuts may improve endothelial function, decrease both oxidative stress and increase cholesterol efflux. As per the studies, dried fruits help lower the postprandial insulin response, modulate sugar absorption, promote satiety and have a beneficial effect on blood pressure.
- Weight Control: Another occurring health concern is the right amount of obesity. While nuts have a high energy content, several studies found that frequent nut consumption was not associated with a higher body mass index but help control body weight.
- Osteoporosis: Osteoporosis is another health concern affected worldwide to people of all age. While there are existing drug therapies, there are also natural, healthy ways to treat or reduce them. Recent observations suggested that prunes help in preventing and reversing bone loss. This dry fruit many also improve bone material density in postmenopausal women.
- Type 2 diabetes: The number of people diagnosed with diabetes is proving a serious health concern. According to a study investigated on people with nut consumption the result showed a reduction in the diabetes risk. They concluded that dried fruit consumption is in fact good for diabetes. Another study by the Louisville Metabolic and Atherosclerotic Research Center observed that replacing processed snacks with dry fruits such as raisins resulted in a reduction in the postprandial glucose levels by 23 per cent.
- Gastrointestinal function: Another frequent health concern surrounds the gastrointestinal function. Since dried fruits are a rich source of dietary fiber dried they help directly on the gastrointestinal function. They contribute hugely to the digestive health. Dried fruits such as prunes help in maintaining normal bowel function.
TIPS: Some may be allergic to dry fruits. Take them in small quantity to begin with.
Also Read | Cheese addiction is real! It may be good for YOU
First Published: Monday, August 27, 2018 05:43 PM
- Dried Fruits ,
- Alternative Snack ,
- Health Benefits ,
- Antioxidant Properties ,
- Cardiovascular Disease ,
- Cardiovascular Risks ,
- Obesity ,
- Weight Control ,
- Osteoporosis ,
- Blood Pressure ,
- Type 2 Diabetes ,
- Gastrointestinal Function ,
- Bowel Function ,
- Health News ,
- Lifestyl ,