Kohlrabi: How this green vegetable can help prevent cancer (Image: Twitter)
Kohlrabi is a member of the cruciferous family of vegetables. It has several health benefits and can prevent various types of illness and fatal health problems, including cancer. Food experts explain how this green vegetable high in Vitamin C can help prevent cancer like other green vegetables such as broccoli and cabbage do. Scientists believe that Kohlrabi provides extra protection to the body from various types of cancer.
ALSO READ | Marital fights can make you suffer from leaky guts
Health Benefits of Kohlrabi:
1. Kohlrabi contains high amount of Vitamin C and Potassium. Also, it is rich in dietary fibre.
2. The Vitamin content in it is important for healthy immune system.
3. Potassium in Kohlrabi helps to maintain blood pressure at normal levels.
4. Kohlrabi provides useful amount of dietary fibre in both soluble and insoluble form which can help prevent cancer.
5. Soluble fibre in Kohlrabi helps to lower blood cholesterol levels.
6. Insoluble fibre in Kohlrabi prevents constipation.
ALSO READ | E-cigarette vapour disables lung’s protective cells
7. The types of fibre in both insoluble and soluble form helps the body to expel carcinogens.
8. Indoles present in Kohlrabi is believed to reduce the potency of the female sex hormone oestrogen which helps to cut breast cancer risk.
9. Isothiocyanate present in the vegetable can treat colon and rectum cancers.