Tulsi Plant: Five amazing benefits of this queen of herbs
Tulsi Plant: Five amazing benefits of this queen of herbs (Photo: Twitter)
Holy basil or tulsi plant is an aromatic plant found in parts of India and the tropic of Southeast Asia. Its wellness benefits are known both for the human health and the environment. In Hinduism, this plant is considered holy and is venerated and worshipped as a diety in Indian households. So, what makes this plant worthy of worship and does it really have a significant medicinal value as it so profoundly professes?
These are some of the points that approve that tulsi plant is worthy of being planted at every home:
- Tulsi plant helps combat air pollution: Tulsi plants are a majorly sighted plant even in the throng of the city. This is because tulsi plant produces anti-inflammatory and antibacterial compounds which helps combat pollution. As such, they help in lowering the pollution levels in the air and minimise the effect of air pollution on the environment altogether.
- Tulsi plant also contain anti-corrosion properties: Tulsi plant is also known to protect the environment against chemical pressure such as industrial pollutants and heavy metals. Which is why, tulsi plants are even planted around iconic monuments such as the Taj Mahal in Agra to help protect the iconic marble building from environmental pollution damage.
- Tulsi plant can be a great dental remedy: Tulsi plant has astringent properties which makes the gums stronger and prevent cavity and tooth decay. Holy basil also destroys bacteria that are responsible for dental cavities, plaque, tartar, and bad breath. Tulsi is hence, an excellent mouth freshener and an oral disinfectant.
- Holy basil prevents lung disorders: Lung damage caused by smoking, tuberculosis or lung cancer is an occurring health concern. The compounds in the tulsi plant like vitamin C, camphene, eugenol, and cineole present in tulsi not only cure the infections in the lungs but also cure the congestion in them. They are known to be very beneficial for respiratory disorders such as bronchitis, asthma.
- Tulsi plant can prevent heart diseases: New studies on this plant have shown that tulsi plant can be used even for chronic cardiovascular diseases. Since, holy basil contains vitamin C and other antioxidants such as eugenol, it protects the heart from the harmful effects of free radicals.
Also Read | Explained: The hazards of eating Mango
The age-old custom in India of worshipping the plant in the morning from evil and good luck exists for a reason. Tulsi plant’s disinfectant and germicidal properties are sure to ward off all day-to-day infections.
First Published: Saturday, September 15, 2018 12:08 PM