Kamika Ekadashi 2018 | Time to rid all worldly desires
Kamika Ekadashi 2018 | Time to wash away the sins (Photo: Facebook)
Kamika Ekadashi 2018 is here. This year Kamika Ekadashi falls on August 7-8 or the Shravan month, according to the Hindu calendar. So, time to wash away your sins, as the day is observed to cleanse your past lives of all sins and wrongdoings and seek salvation. According to the Mahabharata, it is believed that worshipping Lord Vishnu on Kamika Ekadashi washes away all sins and helps to attain salvation. Hence, Hindus across the world observe the day by praying and fasting. They observe certain rites and perform pujas in celebration of the holy day.
Kamika Ekadashi 2018: What is the spiritual significance of the day?
- Kamika Ekadasi fulfills the desires of devotees and worshipping Lord Vishnu in the Shravan month will help you get the blessings from Lord Vishnu.
- Worshiping Lord Vishnu on Kamika Ekadashi also frees oneself from all worldly desires.
- Donations holds great significance in Hinduism. If you want to relieve yourself from your sins than you must donate a land or fast on Kamika Ekadasi.
Also Read | Kamika Ekadashi 2018: The importance of observing fast
What does the Mahabharata says about Kamika Ekadashi
- The Mahabharata says that the only remedy to relieve one from sins is by donating land. However, it is almost impossible to donate land for every single mistakes or sins we commit.
- Also, Mahabharata says that observing Kamika Ekadashi bestows the same merit as donating a milk-cow and her auspicious calf.
- Kamika Ekadashi is the purest of all days and the most powerful for removing sins, according to the Mahabharata.
- Lastly, it is believed that one who fasts and performs night vigil on Kamika Ekadashi would never experience the anger of Yamaraj, the God of Death.
What you should not do on Kamika Ekadashi
- Those who are observing fast on Kamika Ekadashi should not eat grains.
- You should not get a haircut on Kamika Ekadashi day.
- Devotees should also not cut their nails on Ekadashi
- Many women do not wash their hair as well on Kamika Ekadashi.
First Published: Monday, August 06, 2018 08:15 PM