India, being the country of extreme paradoxes, has so many amazing facts for a book to list them all. A country where yoga originated, a land that first introduced diamond mining, the land that introduced zero only manage to highlight the tip of the country’s facts.
There are some amazing facts about this incredible, diverse country that even you as a citizen of the country might not be aware of. Here are eight amazing facts about this incredible country that will surprise you:
- You must know that Bollywood is the world largest film industry in terms of quantity of movies produced. However, dp you know that Bollywood’s highest grossing film made 27 times more than of Hollywood highest grossing? James Cameroon’s 2009, Avatar, the highest Hollywood grossing film made 2.8 billion in the box office. In contrast, Bollywood’s ‘Three idiots’ starring Aamir Khan made a staggering 76.81 billion. Talk about profits!
- Elephants have been a part of the Indian culture and religion since times immemorial. The state of Kerala, however, takes the celebration of this holy animal to another level. The elephants of Kerala can treat themselves with a spa. Punnathoor Cotta Elephant Yard in Guruvayur offer hose baths, massages, and wholesome, nutritious food for the elephants. They consider it their way of giving-back to what this gigantic animal has serviced humankind.
- People go on a religious pilgrimage for a multitude of reasons. There is the Hajj in Saudi Arabia for the Muslims, the papal gathering for the Christians but none of the religious gatherings fit the chart of being big enough to be seen from space. Maha Kumbh Mela, a Hindu religious gathering, however, is. This mela is a religious pilgrimage where millions gather at the banks of the holy Ganges after every 12 years. The figures attending the pilgrimage are estimated to be around 75 million making it the biggest in the world.
- Being the largest democracy in the world, polling time is no smooth ride for the voters. However, in the Gir forest you will discover a single polling station set up for a single voter because he is the only resident of the Gir forest. Mahant Bharatdas Darshandas has been practising his right to vote since 2004 and never misses a single election.
- India has had incredible inventions to its name in the past such as yoga, navigation, medicine, religion etc. The country now boasts of being the first, next generation, thorium-based reactor. As such, the county is expected to produce 30% of its electrical power through thorium by 2050.
- Never underestimate the wealth of Indians! King Jai Singh of Alwar was belittled by a Rolls Royce seller in a showroom in London. To get back at this extravagant, automobile maker, he bought a whole fleet of Rolls Royce car and gave it to the city’s waste department just so that they can collect waste with the cars.
- Antilia, the house of the billionaire Mukesh Ambani is the most expensive residential, building in the world. The house is valued over 1 billion and staffs about 600 employees.
- Countries like South Korea, Brazil might top the list of plastic surgeries however the account of first plastic surgery has traces back in India. Dating back to the 6th century, CE, 'Sushruta Samhita' is a Sanskrit text and is one of the earliest medical texts that talks about surgeries, incision, skin crafts and nose construction.
Which facts about India amazed you?