In Pics | 70 years of Independence: From Pandit Nehru's address to the first flag hoisting on Aug 15 1947
In Pics | 70 years of Independence: From Pandit Nehru's address to the first flag hoisting on Aug 15, 1947
Updated On : 08 Aug 2017, 08:46:37 AM
India will be celebrating 70 years of Independence as a national holiday commemorating the nation's independence from the United Kingdom on August 15. PM Jawaharlal Nehru, who had become the first Prime Minister of India that day, raised the Indian national flag above the Lahori Gate of the Red Fort in Delhi. This happened only after years of struggle, of invaders coming and leaving, of riots, wars, and disagreements between our leaders.
Here are 10 iconic photos from August 15, 1947.
1. PM Nehru addresses the nation from the Red Fort on 15 August 1947.
2. First flag hoist
3. Jawaharlal Nehru salutes the flag as he becomes independent India's first prime minister on August 15.
4. March 24, 1947: Lord Mountbatten is sworn in as the first Governor General of Independent India.
5. Lord Mountbatten swears in Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru as the first Prime Minister of free India at the ceremony held at 8.30 a. m.on August 15, 1947.
6. Lord Mountbatten, Edwina Mountbatten and Jawaharlal Nehru at the first Independence Day celebrations
7. Flag hoisted in Chandni Chowk in New Delhi on Independence Day in 1947
8. People throng to Red Fort on August 15, 1947 to hear the first I-Day speech.
9. A stamp from August 15, 1947
10. Eleven days before returning independence to India, Lord Mountbatten works with his advisors to divide India peaceably