Amid the din of brickbats hitting Indonesia for several inconveniences facing the atheletes and vistors, it’s the Sound of Music – the Asiad 2018 theme song - that is making waves among players and fans alike this Asian Games 2018 at Jakarta Palembang. The theme song is also a hit among Indians as it is also available in Hindi version.
Indonesia has been drawing flak for its traffic woes in Jakarta Palembang where the Asiad Games 2018 are being held. However, the Sound of Music has brought much joy on the streets of Jakarta and Palembang, at Games Village and the sporting venues.
The song has been created to celebrate the unifying spirit of the Games and motivate the 11,000 plus athletes from 45 countries competing at the quadrennial event, the organisers told reporters.
Here’s all you need to know about the Asiad 2018 theme song - Sound of Music.
- The Sound of Music is an adaptation of the original 'Meraih Bintang'.
- Indonesia’s Meraih Bintang means “Reach for the stars”
- The original version was sung by Indonesian rising Dangdung music star Vi Vallen
- The Asiad 2018 theme song was released 50 days ahead of the opening of the Games on August 18
- Sound of Music has been released in six different languages - Bahasa, Hindi, Arabic, Korean, Japanese and Thai
- Meraih Bintang has garnered the most hits on Youtube - 31 million -- since its release
- The Hindi version is sung by Siddharth Slathia
- The Hindi version of Sound of Music had close to two million hits at the time of writing
- The organisers have launched a full-fledged Games album, featuring 13 songs
- India's young trap shooter, Lakshay Sheoran, shot his way to a silver medal on Monday as the theme song played in the background. He was even seen grooving to it.
"Mein music mein kho jaata hoon (I get lost in the music to focus). It was the case today also," Lakshay told PTI after his memorable feat.
"It is really catchy even though I don't understand the language (Bahasa). It keeps me going during competition," 15-year-old Thai shooter Natsara Champalat also told PTI.
Another catchy song popular among the athletes is called 'Non Political' - "Love is our language, peace is our weapon. We don't need no politician, we all just want to dance..." goes the song. The song features Slank, the biggest Indonesian rock band.
"I have been to other Games but the theme songs there did not create a buzz. What they have done is great. The songs have a very global appeal to it," Bahraini athlete Ali Hussain told PTI.
What is Dangdung?
Dangdung is a form of Indonesian pop music inspired from Hindustani, Malay and Arabic music.
The Asian Games 2018, which opened on August 18 will draw to a close on September 2.