News Nation Logo

2018 Commonwealth Games | Highlights Day 2: Sanjita Chanu, Deepak Lather grab medals, Shuttlers unbeaten

On The Day 2 Of 2018 Gold Coast Games, Indian Weightlifting Continued To Bag Medals With Sanjita Chanu Winning The Gold And Deepak Lather The Bronze To Increase The Indian Medal Tally, Whereas The Badminton Team And Boxers Remained Unbeaten.

News Nation Bureau | Edited By : Subhayan Chakraborty | Updated on: 07 Apr 2018, 12:02:08 AM
 Sanjita Chanu won the gold and Deepak Lather the bronze

New Delhi:

On the Day 2 of 2018 Gold Coast Games, Indian weightlifting continued to bag medals with Sanjita Chanu winning the gold and Deepak Lather the bronze to increase the Indian medal tally, whereas the badminton team and boxers remained unbeaten.

In the 21st Commonwealth Games, Mirabai Chanu was the on the lips of every Indian on Thursday, but it was Sanjita Chanu’s turn on Friday to attract all the limelight by winning a gold and a snatch record in the 53kg category. The Manipuri star lifted a 192kg in total to claim the medal. She later broke down in tears standing on the podium.

Whereas Deepak Lather became the youngest weightlifter to win a Commonwealth Games medal by grabbing the bronze in the 69kg category.

"I was just sitting inside and hoping the Samoan would fail his attempt. I know it's bad to wish ill for someone but I couldn't help it," Lather said after the medal ceremony.

ALSO READ: Paul Pogba, Mkhitaryan were offered to Manchester City, reveals Pep Guardiola ahead of Manchester Derby

The journey of Saraswati Rout ended in disappointment as she failed to finish a single valid lift in the snatch section and was later disqualified from clean and jerk in the women’s 58kg category.

In other sets of good results, Indian women hockey team thrashed Malaysia 4-1 to bring its journey back on track. They had shockingly lost 2-3 to a much lower-ranked Wales in the campaign opener.

The Indian shuttlers continued to claim their bragging rights by demolishing Scotland and advance to the quarterfinals in the mixed team event. Superstar Saina Nehwal stomped her name by destroying Julie Macpherson in just under 36 minutes.

"I think that these wins in the tournament are important because they give us confidence moving forward, said K Srikanth after defeating Kieran Merrilees in straight sets.

ALSO READ: IPL 2018: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings Preview

Meanwhile in the boxing event, debutants Naman Tanwar (91kg) and Amit Panghal (49kg) were unmoved by their opponents and entered the quarterfinals in style.

Squash court was dominated by Joshna Chinnappa, who won 3-0 against Aussie Tamika Saxby to enter the quarters. Whereas in the women’s single squad category, Dipika Pillikal bowed her way out after a 0-3 loss to England’s Alison Waters in the pre-quarterfinals.

Deborah Herold lost to Australian Kaarle McCulloch in the cycling event and made her way out of medal contention.

For all the Latest Sports News News, Commonwealth Game 2018 News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.

First Published : 06 Apr 2018, 11:43:50 PM

Videos