News Nation Logo

2018 Gold Coast Games | Day 8 Highlights: Sushil Kumar, Babita Phogat star as medals continue to flow for India

Day 8 At The Gold Coast Games Ended With Seven Medals For India, With Four Medals Coming Off From Wrestling. Sushil Kumar Starred In The Games And Bagged His Third Successive Gold Medal At The Commonwealth Games.

News Nation Bureau | Edited By : Subhayan Chakraborty | Updated on: 12 Apr 2018, 11:53:37 PM
Day 8 at the Gold Coast Games ended with seven medals for India ( Source: PTI)

New Delhi:

Day 8 at the Gold Coast Games ended with seven medals for India, with four medals coming off from wrestling. Sushil Kumar starred in the games and bagged his third successive gold medal at the Commonwealth Games.

Games debutant Rahul Aware grabbed the first gold of the day for India in men’s 57kg category by beating Canada’s Steven Takahashi 15-7.

“I have been waiting for this medal for the last 10 years. I can’t describe how it feels to claim it. I missed out on 2010, even in 2014, the team was sent without trials. So, I am very happy that I could finally fulfill this dream,” said the 26-year-old.

ALSO READ: IPL 2018 Live Score, Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Mumbai Indians: Markande 4-fer downs SRH chase

Whereas defending champion Babita Phogat settled for silver in the women’s 54kg category, while Kiran won a bronze. Kiran defeated Mauritian Katouskia Paridhaven in the 76kg category.

“I think my weakness today was my attack, I should have been more aggressive but I gave my 100 per cent. I am satisfied with the intensity I put in but obviously I could not get the result I wanted,” Babita Phogat said after her win.

Earlier in the day, India started off with a silver medal with Teswini Sawant winning in the women’s 50m rifle prone.

While in athletics, Seema Punia and Navjeet Dhillon won silver and bronze respectively in discus throw.

Indian badminton team advanced through the quarterfinals in both team and individual events. Whereas the table tennis contingent also tasted success with maximum of them qualified to the next round.

For all the Latest Sports News News, Commonwealth Game 2018 News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.

First Published : 12 Apr 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Videos