Asia Cup 2018 Final: 10 interesting stats as India create history by defeating Bangladesh
Asia Cup 2018 Final: 10 interesting stats as India create history by defeating Bangladesh by 3 wickets (Photo: Twitter)
India defeated Bangladesh by 3 wickets to clinch the Asia Cup 2018 trophy in what was an edge-of-the-seat, nail-biting final of Asia’s biggest cricketing tournament. Bangladesh started well with opener Liton Das smashing brilliant 121 runs, however, some clever captaincy by Rohit Sharma and poor shot selection by the Tigers restricted them to a modest total of 222 runs. While chasing it, the Indian batting order did well to bag the last ball victory with some handy knocks by the skipper Rohit Sharma, MS Dhoni, Dinesh Karthik, Ravindra Jadeja, and Bhuvneshwar Kumar.
ALSO READ: ICC announces updated version of DLS system, ICC Code of Conduct
Let us take a look at 10 fascinating stats from the final of Asia Cup 2018:
- Mehidy Hasan opened for the first time in any format, including domestic cricket in his career.
- Rohit Sharma joined Rahul Dravid to win first four series as captains.
- India won their 7th Asia Cup title.
- Only England (194) have been bowled out for a lower total than that of Bangladesh’s (222) in a tournament final after 100+ opening partnership.
- MS Dhoni crossed 800 dismissals in international cricket and became the third wicket keeper after Mark Boucher and Adam Gilchrist to do so.
- Liton Das' 121 is the highest ever score by a Bangladesh batsman in an ICC tournament final.
- India became the third team to win 700 matches after England and Australia.
- MS Dhoni, with 2 stumpings on the final took his numbers to 12 and surpassed Kumar Sangakkara (10) for most stumpings in Asia Cup history.
- Liton Das joined the likes of Mushfiqur Rahim and Alok Kapali to score a ton against India in ODIs.
- India are unbeaten in 11 Asia Cup matches.
First Published: Saturday, September 29, 2018 02:40 PM