Asia Cup 2018: Hong Kong Cricket Team | All you need to know about Anshuman Rath-led side
Asia Cup 2018: Hong Kong Cricket Team | Brief Profile with 5 facts
The Hong Kong national cricket team after defeating UAE in the final of the Asia Cup qualifiers qualified for the Asia Cup 2018, which is starting from September 15. The year 2018 has been a perfect example of a topsy-turvy ride for the Hong Kong cricket team as they turned the tables by regaining the ODI status after losing it at the start of the year. Hong Kong are locked against heavyweights India and Pakistan in the same group.
The Asia Cup may not be as huge as the Champions Trophy or World Cup, but it is a perfect stage for teams like Hong Kong to show their mettle against the heavyweights. Hong Kong had faced India at the 2008 Asia Cup, and Pakistan at 2004, 2008 edition of the Asia Cup – and lost all, but that does not take away the hard work and dedication that the players and staffs are putting in for the constant improvement of the team.
ALSO READ: Asia Cup 2018: Full squad, players list of all participating teams
Here are 5 facts about Hong Kong cricket team:
- Hong Kong participated in their first game in 1866 and has played in every ICC Trophy/World Cup qualifiers barring the 1979 and 2005 editions. Hong Kong have played in ICC World T20 tournaments in 2014 and 2016.
- After January 1, 2019, all matches played by Hong Kong will be complete T20Is as ICC decided to grant full T20I status to all its members.
- Hong Kong have participated in the 2004 and 2008 editions of the Asia Cup losing all their ties.
- Hong Kong’s first One-Day International (ODI) win was against Afghanistan in 2018 World Cup qualifier as they won by 30 runs due to D/L Method.
- Hong Kong defeated Nepal and Singapore in the Asia Cup 2018 qualifiers before beating UAE in the final.
ALSO READ: Asia Cup 2018: Why Virat Kohli has been rested?
Hong Kong will face India on September 18 in what is their campaign opener.
First Published: Friday, September 14, 2018 10:55 AM