Rohit Sharma scored his 23rd, 24th, 25th and 26th One-Day International (ODI) centuries in ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 to become the first Indian player to score four centuries in a single edition of World Cup. His scores read 102 vs England, 140 vs Pakistan, 122 vs South Africa, and 104 vs Bangladesh. Rohit is now joint-second in the all-time list of most centuries in a single edition of the tournament, with Kumar Sangakkara creating a record four centuries in the 2015 edition of the tournament.
Against Bangladesh, the toss fell in favour of the Indian skipper Virat Kohli, who asked the opposition to have a bowl first. Both KL Rahul and Rohit Sharma stamped their authority on opposition bowlers right from the start and hammered them all-around the ground. In the course of the partnership, Rohit Sharma has been the aggressor with KL Rahul playing anchor’s role.
Scoring the 26th ton, Rohit Sharma also became the first batsman in the history of World Cup to score four centuries as an opener. His counterpart, KL Rahul, who scored fourth ODI fifty is also looking at his supreme best to score his second ODI ton.
Interestingly, India’s vice-captain achieved many feats while playing against Bangladesh in World Cup. Here are the following:
- Most Centuries by an Indian in a World Cup edition, going past former Indian skipper Sourav Ganguly.
- Third Consecutive ton against Bangladesh in ICC events. He scored 137 in 2015 World Cup, 123 in 2017 Champions Trophy, and 104 in World Cup 2019.
- Most sixes by an Indian in ODI cricket, going past Mahendra Singh Dhoni (228). Rohit now has 230 ODI sixes to his name.
-Most runs in 2019 World Cup, going past Australia;s opener David Warner. Rohit Sharma now has 544 runs.
- Second Indian after Sachin Tendulkar to score more than 500 runs in a World Cup edition.
- Most fours in World Cup 2019, going past David Warner. Rohit Sharma now has hit 53 fours.
Live Scores & Results