Indian wicket-keeper batsman Mahendra Singh Dhoni’s request to train with the Indian Army has been approved by General Bipin Rawat, ANI news agency said on Sunday, citing sources. After General Rawat’s nod, Dhoni will now train with the Parachute Regiment of the Indian Army and some part of the training is also expected to take place in Jammu and Kashmir. He, however, will not be allowed to take part in any active military operation.
Dhoni, who was conferred with the honorary rank of Lieutenant Colonel in the Parachute Regiment of the Indian Army in 2011, has skipped India tour of West Indies, for which a squad was announced earlier in the day.
BCCI Chief Selector MSK Prasad on Sunday announced Indian squad for West Indies tour and as per speculations one name was missing from the team - MS Dhoni. Speaking about Dhoni’s absence from the squad, Prasad said that the wicket-keeper batsman was unavailable for the selection.
However, the chief selector also dropped a major hint for Dhoni amid the intense speculations about his retirement. Prasad said that the team management has a plan for the next year’s T-20 International World Cup and more opportunities will be given to Rishabh Pant, also a wicket-keeper batsman.
“He's unavailable for this series but we had certain roadmaps and plans till WC. Subsequently, we've laid down few more plans and thought of giving as many opportunities to Pant and to see he is groomed. This is our plan right now,” Prasad told reporters during a press conference.