Dipa Karmakar 1st Indian woman gymnast to qualify for Olympics 2016: Some interesting facts to know
22-year-old Dipa Karmakar becomes the first Indian woman gymnast to qualify for the Olympics 2016. Dipa has been listed as the 79th gymnast among other female qualifiers.After scoring 52.698 points in the Olympics qualifying event to book a berth for artistic gymnastics in Rio Games Dipa created history.
Dipa will also be an Indian gymnast qualifying for the quadrennial extravaganza after 52 long years.
Here are some of the interesting facts to know about the 22-year-old gymnast:
- Dipa started practicing gymnastics at a very tender age of 6.
- Dipa did not take up gymnastics out of her choice but was forced by her father Dulal, a weightlifting coach.
- Dipa won the Junior Nationals held in Jalpaiguri when she was 14-years-old.
- She has also won a bronze in gymnast last year at the Commonwealth Games held in Glasgow, Scotland.
- Dipa has won 77 medals including 67 gold, in state, national and international championships.
First Published: Monday, April 18, 2016 01:15 PM