Google's 'Inbox' app shutting down from April 2, all you need to know

New Delhi, News Nation Bureau | Updated : 20 March 2019, 02:22 PM
Google is shutting down its email app
Google is shutting down its email app "Inbox" on April 2

Google is shutting down its email app "Inbox" from April 2. The app gave users options like advanced filtering, message snoozing and more visual organisation. 'Inbox' is shutting down. We are saying goodbye to 'Inbox' at the end of March 2019. While we were here, we found a new way to email with ideas like snooze, nudges, smart reply and more. That's why we have brought your favourite features to Gmail to help you get more done," reads the desktop message that pops up while logging into "Inbox". There were reports that the app will be shut last year.

The iOS version of the alert still says the app "is going away at the end of March," and suggests people start using the Gmail app instead.

Earlier, Google said, it is going to shut down the consumer version of Google+ from April 2. This came after the revelation of a previously undisclosed security flaw that exposed users profile data. The company also discovered a critical bug in one of the Google+ People APIs. Google will delete all the content including photos, videos and posts from your account. Google has already barred users from creating new profiles, pages, communities or events from February 4. 

“With the discovery of this new bug, we have decided to expedite the shut-down of all Google+ APIs; this will occur within the next 90 days. In addition, we have also decided to accelerate the sunsetting of consumer Google+ from August 2019 to April 2019. While we recognise there are implications for developers, we want to ensure the protection of our users,” said the company in a blog post. Google did not mention the challenges directly in its blog post, the company had previously announced that there was a breach in the platform’s security system that led to a leak of over 5,00,000 Google Plus accounts. 

A software glitch in the social site gave outside developer’s potential access to private Google+ profile data between 2015 and March 2018, when internal investigators discovered and fixed the issue, The Wall Street Journal reported.

First Published: Wednesday, March 20, 2019 02:16 PM
Post Comment (+)