The attackers involved in the deadly Easter Sunday bombings in Sri Lanka had travelled to Kashmir, Kerala and Bangalore in India possibly to receive training, the Island nation’s Army chief Lieutenant General Mahesh Senanayake said. In an interview with the BBC published on Friday, Senanayake said, "They had gone to India, travelling to Bangalore, Kashmir and Kerala state, (according to) information available with us. It would have been for some sort of a training or to establish links with other organisations outside the country."
As many as 257 people, including foreign tourists, were killed and over 500 others sustained injuries in the April 21 serial blasts in three churches and three luxury hotels in Sri Lanka. The ISIS took the responsibility for the worst attack in the history of Sri Lanka.
India had warned the Sri Lankan authorities through diplomatic channels about the attacks well in advance but due to the lack of coordination between the country’s security agencies, the attacks could not be stopped.
So far, there was no immediate response from India on the Sri Lankan Army chief’s claims but a Union Home Ministry source, on the condition of anonymity told the The Hindustan Times: "Sri Lanka hasn’t shared any such information with us. Importantly, Sri Lankan security agencies themselves have ruled this out after investigation."