The dreaded terrorist group Islamic State on Friday claimed responsibility for the brutal bomb attack on a packed commuter train on the London Underground network that injured nearly 29 people.
“The bombing on a metro in London was carried out by a detachment of the Islamic State” group, it said in a statement published by its Amaq propaganda agency.
Earlier on Friday, an improvised explosive device (IED) exploded on a packed underground train at a London station and is being investigated as a ‘terror attack’. UK PM Theresa May increased the threat level of the country to 'critical' after the terrible incident.
Scotland Yard said it was a terror incident and they“assess” an IED triggered the blast.
Some reports indicated that the suspect was identified after investigators reviewed the CCTV footage at the station.This is the fifth terrorism incident in the UK attack this year.
But it’s the only one in 2017 in which nobody has died. The previous four saw 36 people killed.The London Ambulance Service said 18 people have beentaken to hospital, and four more reached there on their own.Most of the injured people suffered burn injuries.
Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said more police wouldbe deployed in London, particularly on the transport network,but refused to say whether anyone had been arrested.Prime Minister May said the incident was a “cowardly” act“clearly intended to cause significant harm”.
Addressing the media after chairing an emergency response COBRA committee meeting at Downing Street, May said the UK’sterror threat level remains unchanged for now, at “severe” -the second highest.“
That means that a terrorist attack is highly likely. But this will be kept under review as the investigation progress. The public should go about their daily lives but remain vigilant,” she said.
“We do need to ensure that we are dealing with, not just the terrorist threat but with the extremism and the hate that can actually incite that terrorism.” the prime minister added.
The police later in an updated statement said an area of50 metres in radius around the station has been evacuated as a precaution in case the bomb left on the train remains unstable.
Mayor Sadiq Khan said London “utterly condemns the hideous individuals who attempt to use terror to harm us and destroy our way of life”, and urged Londoners to remain calm and vigilant.
Scotland Yard’s counter-terrorism squad, SO15, has taken the lead in the investigation from the transport police.“Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu, the senior national coordinator for counter-terrorism policing, has declared it a terrorist incident,” the police said in astatement earlier in the day.
“The Metropolitan Police Service and British Transport Police attended the scene, along with colleagues from theLondon Fire Brigade and London Ambulance Service. At presentwe are aware of a number of people who have sufferedinjuries,” it said, adding that the station remains cordoned off and “we are advising people to avoid the area.
”Downing Street said May was “receiving regular updates”.“My thoughts are with those injured at Parsons Green andemergency services who are responding bravely to thisterrorist incident,” May had tweeted soon after the incident.