Mahatma Gandhi's Teachings Key To A Better World, Says PM Modi At UNGA Session - Top Quotes
Prime Minister Narendra Modi at 74th UNGA session in New York.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday said that Mahatma Gandhi's teachings are key to a better world, adding that India has given the world Buddha (peace) and not 'Yuddha' (war). During his 15-minute speech at the 74th United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) session in New York, Modi said that terrorism is not the problem of a single country but the entire world. He also highlighted the enormity of the 2019 election mandate to his party and his development plans in the next five yeras.
Below are the top quotes of PM Modi's UNGA speech:
- The world's largest democracy voted for my govt & me. We came back to power with a bigger majority and because of this mandate I am here today.
- While I was coming here, I read on the walls of the United Nations "No more single use plastic". I am delighted to inform you that we are running a big campaign in India to free the country of single use plastic.
- India is a great culture that is thousands of years old. It has encompassed universal dreams, our culture focuses on seeing divinity in every being. As as a result, public welfare is embedded in our cultural values.
- In the coming 5 years, we will connect 15 crore people with running water supply. 1.15 lakh km of additional roads will be constructed. In 2022, India will complete 75 years of independence and we will build 2 crore more houses for poor people by then. By 2025, We also intend to rid india of tuberculosis.
- It is absolutely essential for the world to unite against terrorism as it remains the biggest threat to the world. India has contributed vehemently to the UN Peace keeping forces. We have the authority and the will to warn the world against terrorism.
- India's contribution towards UN Peace-keeping missions has been immense. We are a nation that gave the world 'Buddha' (peace) and not 'Yuddha' (war). We gave the message of peace to the world. And this is why we are serious as well as furious while cautioning the world against terrorism.
- When a developing nation successfully carries out the biggest cleanliness drive of the world and provides more than 11 crore toilets to its people just within 5 years, that system gives a message of inspiration to the entire world.
- If you look at the per capita contribution to global warming, India's contribution is very less as compared to other countries.
- Nearly 125 years ago, a great Indian spiritual guru Swami Vivekananda had given the world a messge: Harmony & peace and not dissension. The world's largest democracy has the same message for the international community even today: Harmony and peace.
First Published: Friday, September 27, 2019 07:20 PM