The Islamabad High Court has constituted a review board to hear the plea of LeT operations commander and Mumbai attack mastermind Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi against his detention under a public security order.
The three-member Review Board headed by Justice Shaukat Siddiqui is likely to hear 55-year-old Lakhvi’s plea against his detention under the Maintenance of Public Order Act tomorrow.
“On the application of Lakhvi, the IHC constituted a three-member Review Board regarding his detention,” Lakhvi’s counsel, Raja Rizwan Abbasi told PTI.
He said the government had no legal ground to detain his client.
On March 14, the Punjab government issued the order for Lakhvi’s detention for another 30 days under the Maintenance of Public Order before he could be released from jail following the Islamabad High Court’s directive to set him free which evoked a strong protest from India.
Islamabad High Court Judge Noorul Haq Qureshi on March 13 had suspended the government’s detention order of Lakhvi for the second time and ordered his immediate release.
Lakhvi’s lawyer had earlier said that the Punjab government had issued the order in violation of the Constitution of Pakistan.
“The Punjab government has in fact committed a contempt of court by detaining Lakhvi under MPO which was twice suspended by the IHC,” he had said.