Small fire breaks out in UN General Assembly basement; put out

United Nations, PTI | Updated : 23 March 2015, 07:51 AM

A small fire in the basement of the UN General Assembly building sent smoke into corridors on the lower floors of the UN complex before it was quickly put out.

UN spokeswoman Vannina Maestracci said the fire was in the area of the gift shop and was “promptly put out by the UN fire unit and New York Fire Department.” She said the preliminary investigation indicated that it was an electrical fire.

She said there was some water damage to the area.  The fire broke yesterday evening shortly after the UN Security Council held an emergency meeting on Yemen in an adjoining building.

First Published: Monday, March 23, 2015 07:49 AM
Post Comment (+)