Saudi Oil Attacks: US Singles Out Iran, No Military Option Yet, Says Donald Trump

New Delhi, News Nation Bureau | Updated : 17 September 2019, 06:59 AM
Trump ruled out any military retaliation for now to the strike (File Photo)
Trump ruled out any military retaliation for now to the strike (File Photo)

US President Donald Trump declared on Monday said it "looks" like Iran was behind the explosive attack on Saudi Arabian oil facilities. However, Trump ruled out any military retaliation for now to the strike against a key US Mideast ally. Earlier, Trump said Iran was likely to blame, fanning new fears of conflict in the Gulf region.

“We have a lot of options,” Trump told reporters. “I’m not looking to get into new conflict, but sometimes you have to,” he said. “That was a very large attack, and it could be met by an attack many, many times larger.”

Drones attacked the world's largest oil processing facility in Saudi Arabia and an oilfield operated by Saudi Aramco on Saturday, sparking a huge fire at a processor crucial to global energy supplies. No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attacks in Buqyaq and the Khurais oil field, though Yemen's Houthi rebels previously launched drone assaults deep inside of the kingdom.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo while blaming Iran on Sunday had said “there is no evidence the attacks came from Yemen” and points the finger at Tehran.

"Iran has now launched an unprecedented attack on the world’s energy supply," he added.

Pompeo says the US calls on all nations to “condemn Iran’s attacks.”

He added, “the United States will work with our partners and allies to ensure that energy markets remain well supplied and Iran is held accountable for its aggression.”

The plant has been targeted in the past by militants. Al-Qaida-claimed suicide bombers tried but failed to attack the oil complex in February 2006.

A Saudi-led coalition has been battling the rebels since March 2015. The Iranian-backed Houthis hold Yemen's capital, Sanaa, and other territory in the Arab world's poorest country.

The war has become the world's worst humanitarian crisis. The violence has pushed Yemen to the brink of famine and killed more than 90,000 people since 2015, according to the US-based Armed Conflict Location & Event Data Project, or ACLED, which tracks the conflict.

First Published: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 06:59 AM
Post Comment (+)