>>     >>   Mercedes hit-and-run: Delhi Police tells court it needs more time to complete probe

Mercedes hit-and-run: Delhi Police tells court it needs more time to complete probe

Delhi Police On Saturday told a court here that it needs more time to complete its probe in a case involving a teenager who allegedly ran over a 32-year-old marketing executive while driving his father’s Mercedes here in April.


By   |  Updated On : November 05, 2016 05:23 PM
Mercedes hit-and-run: Delhi Police tells court it needs more time to complete probe

Mercedes hit-and-run: Delhi Police tells court it needs more time to complete probe

New Delhi :  

Delhi Police On Saturday told a court here that it needs more time to complete its probe in a case involving a teenager who allegedly ran over a 32-year-old marketing executive while driving his father’s Mercedes here in April.

Additional Sessions Judge Vimal Kumar Yadav listed the matter for further proceedings on December 15.

Special Public Prosecutor Atul Shrivastava told the court that police is probing some news facts in the case.  Further investigation is still going on and they need time to complete it.

The police had earlier sought the court’s permission to further probe the case saying some new facts have emerged in matter and it has come to their knowledge that before this hit-and-run case, the boy was also challaned for over-speeding in which he had shown a “false and forged driving licence” to the traffic police. The court had allowed police’s plea.

ALSO READ: (Delhi Mercedes hit-and-run case: Minor accused can be tried as adult, says Juvenile Justice Board)

The accused had turned major four days after the April 4 incident. The plea by police was opposed by advocate Rajiv Mohan, who had appeared for the boy, on the ground that he was a juvenile and the police knew about the licence before and there was no fresh evidence.

Police had said in its charge sheet that the boy had fatally run over victim Siddharth Sharma with his father’s Mercedes when the victim was trying to cross a road near Ludlow Castle School in north Delhi on April 4.

The Juvenile Justice Board had on June 4 ordered that the boy would face trial as an adult while observing that the offence allegedly committed by him was “heinous”.

It is the first of its kind case since the amendment in the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act 2015 which allowed the Board to transfer cases of heinous offences by children to the sessions court.

The police had on May 26 chargesheeted the boy in JJB for culpable homicide not amounting to murder which entails a maximum of 10 years jail.

The charge sheet was filed for alleged offences under IPC sections 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder), 279 (driving on a public way so rashly or negligently as to endanger human life) and 337 (causing hurt by an act which endangers human life) against him.

First Published: Saturday, November 05, 2016 05:18 PM


Download the News Nation Mobile App and stay connected with top stories from India and around the world. Available on Android and IOS.


NEXT STORY