Two eight-year-old girls died due to electrocution while they were playing in the rains outside their house at RR Nagar in Tamil Nadu’s Chennai on Wednesday.
According to police the two minors got electrocuted when they jumped into a pool of water near an electricity junction box in Chennai Kodungaiyar area. Another eight-year-old girl escaped unhurt as she avoided stepping into the stagnant water.
The deceased girls have been identified as Bhavana and Yuvashri. Both the girls were studying in class three of a government school.
The Tamil Nadu government had declared a state holiday on Wednesday due to heavy rain forecast in Chennai and surrounding areas.
The locals alleged that the electricity department did not maintain the electricity box and the live wires can be seen hanging out of the box.
“On learning the death of the two kids we blocked from travelling into the area to avoind further untoward incidents,” said a local to the media.
The locals blocked the road and carried out protest against the Tamil Nadu Electricity Board. The protestors alleged that they had complained the electricity board about the box but they did not give ear to their complaints.