Govt bans condom ads from 6 am-10pm, cites ‘indecency’ as reason, NCPCR welcomes order

15 December 2017, 12:45 PM
File Photo
File Photo

The Information and Broadcasting (I&B) Ministry on Monday issued an order banning the broadcast of condoms commercials between 6 am in the morning to 10 pm at night.

The ministry has issued a directive following “complaints” regarding their adverse impact on kids and teenagers.

"All TV channels are hereby advised not to telecast advertisements of condoms which are for a particular age group and could be indecent or inappropriate for viewing by children," the ministry said in its advisory.

The ministry referred to Clause 7 (7) of the cable Television Networks Rules, 1994, to justify its directive, saying it stipulates: "No advertisement which endangers the safety of children or creates in them any interest in unhealthy practices or shows them begging or in an undignified or indecent manner shall be carried in the cable service."

"Any failure will attract action as per provisions of the rules," the ministry said.

Also Read: Govt Condom ads ban wise on censorship; Curtails HIV-AIDS awareness, restricts sex education

NCPCR welcomes ban on condom ads on TV between 6 am-10 pm:

The National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) on Tuesday welcomed the order of the government asking television channels not to air condom advertisement between 6 am and 10 pm.

In an advisory to all television channels on Monday, the Information and Broadcasting Ministry had asked channels torestrict condom advertisements to late night between 10 pm and 6 am.

"We have received complaints regarding condom advertisements showing inappropriate content. We welcome the decision of the government," NCPCR chairperson Stuti Kacker told PTI. The ministry said that it was brought to its notice that some channels carry advertisements of condoms repeatedly whichare alleged to be indecent, especially for children.

Bipasha and Karan Singh Grover criticised for promoting condom brand: 

Earlier this year, Bipasha Basu and Karan Singh Grover teamed up for commercial ad for a condom company.

But, the couple faced many criticisms in promoting this condom brand. Bipasha spoke on such criticism and said, "The idea is to create awareness on the subject; it's the need of the hour. I am doing no wrong by endorsing condoms’’.

She further added, "It was going to be shot by one of the most trusted photographers and ad-filmmaker in the business, Prasad Naik. So, I knew it would be aesthetically shot. Also, the thought behind the campaign — 'give her more' appealed to us’’.

Even Karan Singh Grover took his Instagram handle to share the ad and wrote, "In a country that has the second largest population in the world.. we still have taboos on just the words sex and condoms… but not the actual act. Let’s talk more… read more and learn more about all the things that can be avoided just by the use of a simple precaution. With condoms you can have planned pregnancies and protected sex… which can curb the growth HIV and STD cases. As a couple we believe in this that’s why we have thoughtfully endorsed it’’.

While the first commercial is already running on television, another one will be shot later this month.

It is not hidden from anyone that both Bipasha and Karan are fitness freaks and keeps updating their fans with pictures of them working out together.

Sunny Leone's condom ad taken down by Mankind Pharma following protests: 

Following the backlash over the controversial advertisement featuring actor Sunny Leone, Mankind Pharma withdrew the ad and issued a statement which read, “The Navratri hoardings campaign was not meant to hurt anyone's sentiments and was immediately withdrawn. We deeply regret any such incident.”

The billboards had been put up with the tagline, ‘Aa Navratrie ramo parantu prem thi (This Navratri, play, but with love).’ 

The hoardings were pulled down following protests by a traders’ body.

The Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT) had urged the Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Smriti Irani to formulate a code of conduct for brand ambassadors with stringent penal provisions against irresponsible endorsements.

The Confederation quoted the example of Manforce Condoms' advertisement claiming that the company had tried ‘to ride piggyback on the festive sentiment of Navratri to sell its product.’

"What is offensive about the advertisement is that it brazenly uses double meanings and innuendos with commercial gains in mind, completely disregarding any sensitivity to the social and cultural fabric without caring for the consequences of such an action on impressionable young minds and at a time when religious fervour is at a high," CAIT had said in the letter.

CAIT had earlier written to Union Consumer Affairs Minister Ram Vilas Paswan seeking a ban on the advertisement. 

Failing to counter the protests, Mankind took down the hoardings even though surveys have shown that condom sales do go up 25-50% during Garba season while Navaratri is in full swing in Gujarat, as reported by India TV. Oral contraceptive sales go even higher.

With PTI Inputs

First Published: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 01:00 PM
For all the latest India News Download the News Nation App available on Android and iOS.