The Yogi Adityanath government is struggling to bring back peace and normalcy in violence hit Saharanpur town of Uttar Pradesh. Saharanpur has been witnessing incidents of caste based violence since last April.
The situation became tensed following the death of a Dalit man in the violence on Tuesday following which the Yogi Adityanath government had sacked DM and SSP of Saharanpur for their failure to tackle the situation.
Here are the latest developments:
1. The Uttar Pradesh administration has imposed Section 144 in Saharanpur in an effort to avoid any untoward incident. It has also blocked internet services and social media to prevent rumour mongers from vitiating the atmosphere further.
2. The condition of the man who was shot at on Wednesday remains critical. Police has registered an FIR against unknown persons in the case.
3. Muzaffarnagar SP has been given additional charge of Saharanpur after the Yogi government removed Saharanpur SSP Subhash Chandra Dubey and District Magistrate (DM) N P Singh over inability to control violence following fresh clashes in the area.
4. A delegation of BSP leaders on Wednesday met Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath and alleged that party supremo Mayawati was "deliberately not provided security" by the administration during her Saharanpur visit. They also submitted a memorandum to the chief minister in this regard.
5. The Uttar Pradesh government has announced Rs 15 lakh as compensation to the family of the man killed and Rs 50,000 each to those injured on Tuesday.
6. Fresh violence was witnessed in Saharanpur on Wednesday in which three persons were injured today, prompting the government to suspend the District Magistrate and the Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP).
7. The Divisional Commissioner and the Deputy Inspector General (DIG) were transferred on Wednesday in the wake of the continuing violence in this district of Uttar Pradesh which has been hit by caste-based clashes.
8. Late Wednesday night, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath said strong action is being taken against all those responsible for the violence and appealed for calm.
9. Yogi Adityanath said people should not pay heed to inflammatory speeches and should help in maintaining peace and order.
10. Adityanath also met Governer Ram Naik late on Wednesday evening. They are understood to have discussed developments in Saharanpur.
(With PTI inputs)