Nagaland Governor accepts Zeliang's resignation, Neiphiu Rio in race for new CM

20 February 2017, 12:07 AM
T R Zeliang
T R Zeliang

T R Zeliang resigned from the position of Nagaland Chief Minister on Sunday while making way for a new leader to take over in the trouble-torn northeastern state. Official sources said Governor P B Acharya accepted Zeliang's resignation and told him to continue till further arrangements were made.

Earlier on Sunday, Zeliang announced his decision to step down. A statement from the Chief Minister's Office confirmed Zeliang was stepping down and that a consensus leader will be chosen on Monday morning at Naga People's Front Legislature Party meeting. The NPF meeting will be followed by a meeting of DAN (Democratic Alliance of Nagaland) at 11 AM in Kohima.

In the 60-member Assembly, an NPF source claimed, former Chief Minister and sole MP from the state Neiphiu Rio commanded the support of 49 MLAs, including eight Independents, while at least three including Speaker Chotisuh Sazo are with party President Shurhozelie Liezitsu.

NPF sources said both Rio and Zeliang met Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh in New Delhi on Saturday but they refused to divulge details. The BJP has four MLAs in the state. Zeliang had left for Delhi on February 16 after seeking two days' time to step down from the chief ministerialpost.

Protests had erupted in Nagaland after the state government announced that in the Urban Local Bodies (ULBs)election, 33 per cent of the seats would be reserved for women.

Different organisations in the state had demanded that the state government declare the ULB elections null and void, suspend the police and security personnel involved in January 31 firing on the protesters leading to the death of two youths in Diampur and that Zeliang step down from the post of the Chief Minister.

The Nagaland government had fulfilled the demand of Nagaland Tribes Action Committee (NTAC) Kohima and Joint Coordination Committee (JCC), declaring the entire process of Urban Local Bodies election with 33 per cent reservation forwomen as null and void.

Its second demand of suspending the personnel involved in January 31 police firing on the protesters leading to the killing of two youths in Dimapur has been partially fulfilled as they have been transferred. 

First Published: Sunday, February 19, 2017 11:01 PM
For all the latest India News Download the News Nation App available on Android and iOS.