In a frightful incident, national level wrestler Vishal Kumar Verma died on Tuesday afternoon after being electrocuted at the decrepit Jaipal Singh Stadium in Ranchi.
According to the reports, the 25-year-old was pumping out water that had collected near the office of the Jharkhand State Wrestling Association (JSWA), situated inside the stadium, when the incident occured. He was rushed to the Ranchi Sadar Hospital where he was declared dead by the doctors.
Built in 1978, the indoor stadium has been flooded with rainwater since the beginning of monsoon and its condition has been deteriorated in last couple of weeks.
As per the reports, Shyamanand Mandal, officer in-charge of Kotwali police station said, "Preliminary investigation has revealed that death was due to electrocution. Vishal was using a water pump to clear out the water when the incident took place. Faulty wiring seems to be main cause for this incident".
However, Ganesh Jha, general manager of Jharkhand Bijli Vitran Nigam (JBVNL), told TOI that there was no fault in the power connection provided by his department.
Jharkhand Wrestling Association has announced a compensation of Rs 1 lakh for Vishal's family and it has also decided to provide ex-gratia of Rs 10,000 to them every month.
Vishal who was the only bread earner in his family of six, started his wrestling career in 2005 and stood fourth in the last senior National Wrestling Championship.