It seems that finally the long-blocked secret files related to the assassination of the 35th President of the United States, John F Kennedy/John Fitzgerald ‘Jack’ Kennedy (JFK) would be opened to the public for the first time.
This was announced by none other than US President Donald Trump who on Saturday said he will allow the files to be made public.
John F Kennedy served as POTUS from January 1961 until his assassination on November 22, 1963.
His assassination has given rise to many conspiracy theories that even challenge the official version that Kennedy was killed by Lee Harvey Oswald, a lone gunman.
"Subject to the receipt of further information, I will be allowing, as President, the long blocked and classified JFK FILES to be opened," Trump said in a tweet.
Subject to the receipt of further information, I will be allowing, as President, the long blocked and classified JFK FILES to be opened.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 21, 2017
Even though there were reports that not all the files would be released but Trump has, of now, decided otherwise.
The files are due to be opened in their entirety on Thursday nearly 54 years after Kennedy's assassination in Dallas unless the US president decides otherwise.
Millions of classified Kennedy files have been released under a 1992 law passed in response to a surge in public demand for disclosure in the wake of Oliver Stone's conspiracy heavy movie on the assassination.
But the law placed a 25-year hold on a small percentage of the files that expires on October 26.
Some reports put the number withheld at 3,100 and say tens of thousands that had been released with portions blacked out are set to be fully declassified.
(With Agency inputs)