More than 4,000 non-Muslim villagers have been evacuated amid the ongoing clashes between Rohingya Muslims and Myanmar Army in northwestern Rakhine state in the last three days, the Myanmar government said on Sunday.
Win Myat Aye, Myanmar’s minister for social welfare, relief and resettlement, told Reuters, an international news agency, that 4,000 “ethnic villagers” who had fled their villages had been evacuated.
The minister also told the new agency that they are arranging facilities for non-Muslims in places including Buddhist monasteries, government offices and local police stations in major cities.
“We are providing all support to the people cooperating with the state government and local authorities,” said Win Myat Aye to the media.
In the meantime thousands thousands of Rohingya Muslims fled across the border to Bangladesh.
Myanmar ARMY donated lunch to 200 people at Yangon General Hospital pic.twitter.com/s8lYhiivVN— Kaitlyn (@maknaegguk) August 26, 2017
The death toll from the violence that had erupted on Friday has climbed to 98 which includes 98 insurgents and 12 security personnel.
On Friday, national leader Aung San Suu Kyi on condemned the raids carried out by insurgents wielding guns, sticks and country-made bombs assaulted 30 police stations and an army base.
The social minister did not inform about the government’s plans to help Rohingya civilians.
Thousands of Rohingya Muslims – mostly women and children – were trying to cross the Naf river separating Myanmar and Bangladesh.
Rohingya Muslims have been fleeing Myanmar to Bangladesh since the 1990s. Both the nations regard them as the other country’s citizens.